My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

The little squirrels that could

I'll be selling gardeners' gift baskets at the farmer's market in West Newton, MA 10-2 on June 23, June 30, and every other Saturday thereafter until October 6. Stop by and say hello if you're in the neighborhood! The market is on Elm Street between Washington Street and Webster Street. 
 
Baby needs acorns—that seems to be the imperative for squirrels in my yard at this time of year. Local squirrels are in high gear, digging everywhere. 

Squirrels are persistent in their search for food. They've got all day.

I wake in the morning to find holes dug every six inches in the wood chip paths. There are few edible seeds or nuts around at this season. Squirrels are digging for food wherever soil is loose.

Wood chip paths make for easy digging

    Whatever I plant in the ground is in danger of being thrown back out by foraging squirrels. This year’s plan to grow vegetables and berries in containers on the deck is in serious jeopardy unless I can keep squirrels out of the pots until the plants are firmly rooted.



      Checking Google, I learn that other people are having the same problem. 

Can you see where squirrels dug a hole in the bottom right corner of this pot?

Writers promoting “natural” gardening recommend non-toxic repellents: human hair or dog hair, cayenne pepper, or bone meal spread on the soil surface. Folk remedies like these get passed on from gardener to gardener, but I’ve never found they had much effect on wildlife.

    Instead, I’m opting for mechanical barriers. One recommendation that recurred in my Internet search was to lay down chicken wire or wire mesh fencing and plant through it. Cutting a hole with wire clippers every time you plant a seedling sounds to me like a recipe for frustration and laceration. 


    I prefer to cover rows of seeds with row cover, a spun-bonded synthetic textile. I keep the fabric off the ground with rectangles of wire fencing with 2-inch openings. These are held down with small stakes. 


Peas under row cover
 I take the row cover off when the seeds sprout. I can remove the fencing when the seedlings have several leaves or let it remain to deter digging all summer. 

    I have to admit that this approach adds extra time and work to the job of starting the vegetable garden in spring. It does increase the chance that squirrels will leave the seedlings in peace.


    Protecting young plants in pots is even more complicated. This spring I’ve potted strawberry plants, a blueberry bush, a patio tomato, a bush cucumber, and two eggplant seedlings. I’ve planted radish and lettuce seeds in shallow containers. The question is how to keep these plants safe, short of standing guard all day. Past experience warns that they have little chance of surviving or producing without a barrier to keep squirrels out.


    I covered the little blueberry bush with a chicken wire cloche I bought from Gardeners Supply. 



Chicken wire cloche: adorable but pricey

Glass cloches were originally invented as mini-greenhouses, providing a warm, moist environment to encourage individual plants to grow. This one is just a barrier to keep marauders out. It’s not cheap at $25 plus shipping, otherwise I’d purchase a fleet of them. 
   
    After squirrels started digging in the other containers, I covered the pots with window screen or wire mesh or laid cut pieces of these around the plants on the soil surface, holding them down with small stakes or tomato cages. Still the squirrels find ways around my barriers. They never give up!


A squirrel found a way past the protective screening and threw mulch out of this tomato's pot

No comments:

Post a Comment