My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Monday, December 17, 2018

Insect-friendly in 2019

Judging by last year, seed catalogs will start arriving this month. I’m beginning to think about how to keep neonicotinoid insecticides out of next year’s garden.

Seed catalogs should be arriving soon

    Evidence is piling up that “neonics,” widely used in agriculture, are ubiquitous in the environment and the food supply. This class of chemicals was developed in the 1980s to replace earlier pesticides that were more toxic to humans. In the years since, they’ve played a part in a massive insect die-off. Neonics persist in plant tissues and kill or disable non-target insects, traveling by wind and water to affect untreated wild and cultivated areas.


Neonics kill and disable bees

    The problem goes beyond pollination. Insects also play a crucial role at the base of the food web and do essential work recycling waste through decomposition. Without insects, Earth wouldn’t support much human life (My thanks to reader Patricia McGinnis, who forwarded a revealing New York Times Magazine piece on this subject).


    In the midst of this gloom, I got some good news recently when I phoned a local garden center, Allandale Farm, to ask about their practices. I knew that the farm uses only organic controls on their site. The grower I spoke with reassured me that they also don’t buy any plants that have been treated with neonics. They’ve been able to find smaller nurseries that don't use these pesticides, she said. I was delighted to hear it. 


 
May plant shopping is a fun tradition


My lingering doubts about buying perennials at the farm were dispelled. Because garden centers source some of their stock from other growers, I’d feared that the farm might be selling neonic-treated plants from elsewhere. Now that I know their plants are neonic-free, I can enjoy a shopping spree in May. It’s great to hear that there are small wholesalers out there producing neonic-free plants. I hope they prosper!

    I feel good about shopping at local garden centers like Allandale Farm. At the other end of the scale of plant retailing, Home Depot promised in 2015 that they would phase out neonic-treated plants by the end of 2018. In the interim, they required their suppliers to attach a warning label to plants exposed to the chemicals. This is all progress, but I don’t see any statement on Home Depot’s web site announcing that the neonic phase-out is complete. Let’s hope that will be forthcoming next spring.


    Meanwhile, I’ve developed a short list of seed catalogs that offer organic seed. Conventional growers use treated seed to introduce neonics into a plant’s life cycle; organic growers don’t. Unfortunately it’s much easier to find pesticide-free seed for starting vegetables than for flowers.


Organic basil seeds weren't hard to find last year

     There’s still not enough consumer demand for organically grown ornamental plants. As one grower said to me, “You’re not going to eat them, so what’s the point?” The point is that we want to protect the soil and the creatures that live around us!

Here’s my list so far of catalogs that offer some organic alternatives: 


*Natural Gardening Company 
Johnny’s Selected Seeds
Renee’s Garden
*Adaptive Seeds

Botanical Interests
*Seeds of Change
Burpee

                        *organics only

No comments:

Post a Comment