My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Welcoming pollinators

With the first snowdrops blooming in the front yard, it’s time to get serious about this year’s growing season. What features should I be looking for when choosing flowers and plants to provide food for pollinators from spring through fall?

 
Monarch on New England aster

     Some useful plant families to start with are the asters (Asteraceae) and mints (Lamiaceae). I’m already growing several plants in the aster family, including purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea), goldenrods (Solidago spp.), black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta), and New England asters (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae). These all have daisy-shaped flowers that are actually composites. 

Black-eyed Susans are composites of multiple tiny flowers

The “petals” are really ray flowers. The dark centers are made up of many tiny disc flowers.  This design makes visiting particularly profitable for insects. You’ll notice bees poking their proboscises repeatedly into the tiny openings. They’re harvesting nectar from each little flower.

    Sunflowers are in the same family, but I’ve mostly struck out with them. That’s because I can’t get them past the seedling stage. My squirrels seem to have a yen for sunflower sprouts. I’ve tried surrounding the seedlings in cylinders of wire screening, but the squirrels find a way to get at them before they can grow woody stems. 


Trying to protect seedlings from squirrels

I’m going to give it another try this year. I have a pop-up fabric shelter for protecting seedlings that’s 3 feet tall. I’ll try burying the edges in soil and see if sunflowers grown inside can make it past squirrel food size.

    I’d also like to grow Mexican sunflowers (Tithonia rotundifolia). This is a big annual with zinnia-like orange flowers and a wide round shape like a shrub. Sunflowers, Mexican and otherwise, have another benefit beside composite flowers. They also offer a stable landing pad for butterflies. A monarch with a 3-inch wingspan needs something sturdy to land on.


A sunflower makes a sturdy landing spot-photo Don Graham

    This is not to say that daisies are the only pollinator-friendly flowers. In the mint family, I’d like to try blunt mountain mint (Pycnanthemum muticum) again. One succumbed in a spot with too much competition. Mountain mints are reputed not to become invasive, unlike many other mints. The problem with bee balm (Monarda spp.) and giant hyssop (Agastache spp.) in the same family is their tendency to spread aggressively. I moved Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’ from lean sandy soil near the fish pond to a richer bed, and now I have to pull out wheelbarrows full every year.


Hoverfly on Agastache 'Blue Fortune'-photo Benh LIEU SONG


    I’ll also draw pollinators with compound flowers such as those of alyssum (Lobularia maritima), sedum (Sedum spp.), and swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata). These all feature clusters of small flowers that attract lots of insects.


Alyssum has a sweet scent and draws lots of pollinators

    I’d like to grow foxgloves (Digitalis spp.) again. Their attractive spires have nectar guides, in the form of freckles, that attract bees and butterflies. These are flower markings that lead pollinators to the nectar, like airport runway lights, simplifying their search for food. I’m fond of the variety ‘Foxy’, which blooms the first year from seed. I might grow it again to save energy for bees. This is a hopeful time in the gardening year.


Foxglove freckles guide bees to nectar

No comments:

Post a Comment