My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Nesting time

It’s great to hear the dawn chorus of bird song at this time of year and see birds collecting material from the garden for nests. 

When magnolias bloom, it's time for birds to build nests

    I’ve put out mesh balls filled with feathers again to aid in the nest-building effort. An attractive ball made from bent twigs filled with fluffy raw cotton that I bought a few years ago from a catalog and hung from a branch drew no bird customers at all. I noticed that birds seemed more interested when the ball contained feathers. 


Feathers make more popular nesting material than a wad of raw cotton

    That’s when I started saving onion bags and ordered a big bag of goose feathers from a company that sells them for topping up feather comforters. I fill the bags with feathers, close them with twist ties, and hang them from branches like Christmas ornaments.

 

Onion bag feather ball hanging in a Norway spruce

It’s fun to see a bird hover or cling to the mesh to snag a feather or two and then fly off purposefully to where the building project is underway.

    The bad news is that many of the birds taking me up on this offer are nonnative house sparrows (Passer domesticus). 


European house sparrow

This highly adaptable species originated in Eurasia and North Africa and now lives on six continents, everywhere but polar areas. Flocks of house sparrows evict native birds from their nesting sites and hog the food supply.

    My goal is to foster a generous garden ecosystem where a diverse range of bird species can find the plants, insects, water, shelter, and nesting opportunities that they need. For that reason, I’ve tried to stop inviting these sparrows to my yard. Not filling birdfeeders during the growing season has made a big difference. Once the feather balls come down this summer, I won’t do anything else to encourage house sparrows to return. 


    I’m encouraged to see birds using some garden debris for building nests. That’s what I hoped would happen with the transition to intentionally bird-friendly gardening (Grow Native Massachusetts offers this guide to providing food and habitat for birds in your yard).


    This week I’ve noticed American robins (Turdus migratorius) busily flying back and forth and scolding when I get near certain trees. On Saturday I spotted faded hosta leaves hanging from a nest in a tall Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica). 


Hanging hosta leaves make this robin's nest noticeable


The penny dropped: that’s why last year’s hosta leaves are migrating around the yard and showing up draped over low branches. 


The robins are picking them up to carry to their chosen nest spots, dropping some along the way. Even wilted and dried out, those large leaves must make a heavy load for a 3-ounce robin. 


I noticed hosta leaves woven into another nest located on a downspout under the eaves of the house. Saving the garden clean-up for later this spring has allowed nest-building robins to make use of last year’s leaves, stalks and twigs.

    True, hostas are Asian imports, not native to New England. If they’re useful to the robins, though, I feel their inclusion in the garden is sustainable enough. That’s fortunate, because they’re pretty too. 


Nonnative hostas and flowering astilbes in July
 

1 comment:

  1. Buy nursery plant label printers at affordable price in Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia. Innovative Tags has a variety of nursery printable plant labels accessories.

    ReplyDelete