My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Sunday, September 13, 2020

A fair exchange

An excellent summary by Anne Bikle in Fine Gardening reminded me that there’s no free lunch in the rhizosphere, the top few inches of soil where most of the biological activity happens. True, lots of soil organisms are at work breaking down organic matter into forms that our plants’ roots can use. 

Electron micrograph of soil microbes-photo Pacific Northwest National Lab

But that’s not a coincidence. The roots offer something in return. Every plant exudes proteins, carbohydrates and fats from its roots. These attract the organisms that help plants get what they need and protect them from diseases and pests.

 

Fungal network associated with spruce roots-photo André-Ph. D. Picard
 
    Bikle’s article was a good reminder to support this process by taking good care of soil organisms in the garden. I checked myself against her three recommendations: leaving soil undisturbed when possible, mulching to add organic material to the system, and growing a variety of plants.


    A few years ago I gave up turning the soil in the vegetable bed with my spade before planting in spring. I’d thought this was a necessary step to mix in amendments such as compost and composted manure and turn under any weeds that had sprouted.


     I stopped all this digging when I learned it was counterproductive. I was breaking up soil networks, killing or slowing down soil organisms that were nourishing my plants. I was also churning through organic material by introducing a rush of oxygen into the soil, wasting the compost I added to the bed. 


     I found out it was better to let soil organisms do their work undisturbed. Now I confine the digging to times when I need a planting hole for a seedling such as a young tomato plant. The soil in the vegetable bed has improved. As a side benefit, I’ve got fewer weeds, because when I cut out the digging, I stopped bringing weed seeds to the surface to germinate.

I avoid digging except to plant seedlings

    I’m also making a point of not clearing away leaves that fall on the ground, except on the lawn. I’m still working on striking a balance for fall leaves. I used to chop them up for leaf mulch, until I learned this also chopped up useful insects at various stages of development that were settling into the leaf litter for the winter. For the past couple of years, I’ve mostly let the leaves lie on beds, supplemented by more leaves I drag in from the street that would otherwise go to the city’s composting site. 

 

Letting fall leaves lie
     

     Now I’m missing my leaf shreds. There are places where they’d be especially useful, such as in the newest perennial beds, where the soil could use some quick help. The leaf shreds stay put, not blowing around like whole leaves, and they decompose faster. This fall I think I’ll do some limited shredding to cover those spots.

 
     From Bikle I learned that I’m offering a diverse buffet of root exudates by increasing variety in the garden as I’ve added native plants. That’s because each plant sends out its own recipe to attract organisms to meet its needs. All the better.

 

A mix of native plants: wild ginger, leucothoe, heuchera


 

No comments:

Post a Comment