My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Let them stand

In the last few years, I’ve been transitioning away from doing a fall clean-up in the garden. I used to think it was important to cut perennial stalks to the ground when they died and turned brown.

Flowers gone to seed used to get chopped down


     The idea was that this would prevent insects from overwintering. Now I want insects to overwinter, both beneficial insects and some of the leaf eaters that feed them. Pollinators such as queen bumblebees need dead plants to hide under during winter. Persisting fruits and seeds provide food for birds.

Winter forage for birds


     A side benefit of this approach, I’m finding, is that the seed heads left standing can be pretty. With the leaves down, the fine details of these holdouts become more noticeable. Some plants, such as clematis, are known for their beautiful seed heads, but as I look more closely, I notice that many winter survivors have beautiful architecture.

 

Clematis after flowering

There are several shrubs whose red fruits persist through the winter, offering welcome bright spot in the drab brown and gray landscape. I like to snap close-up photos at this time of year. Here are some winter sights I’ve enjoyed.

Spiraea

Clethra

Winterberry



Pine cones

     I'm holding out for spring too. I hope to be back up to speed in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment