My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Monday, May 13, 2019

Groundcover throwdown

Last fall I wrote about uprooting smooth Solomon’s seal (Polygonatum biflorum) under a crabapple that occupies a very visible spot in our landscape. This native plant has spread widely in my yard. I brought home three as a groundcover for shade, and now 25 years later, their descendants are taking over every shady spot in the yard. They may be beneficiaries of our sprinkler irrigation system, which keeps the soil from drying out in the summer, unintentionally catering to smooth Solomon’s seal’s preference.


Smooth Solomon's seal shows up in every shady spot

    This spring I wasn’t surprised to see new shoots of the plant emerging in the section I’d tried to clear last year. It’s hard to remove every scrap of the white rhizomes. What’s needed, I realized, was something to compete with smooth Solomon’s seal. I should choose a shade-loving plant that would be tough enough to hold its ground, but not so aggressive that it would become a problem. Easier said than done. Smooth Solomon’s seal, along with some other unfortunate choices, has taught me that plants can take years to reach a critical population mass that enables a bid for hegemony.


Will fragrant Solomon's seal also turn into a thug? Time will tell

    To avoid bringing home neonicotinoid-treated plants, I’ve learned to look around the garden for things to transplant before heading out to the garden center. I could certainly move some Canadian wild ginger (Asarum canadense) to the area under the crabapple. Its round matte leaves stay clean and fresh-looking through the season. There’s already a lot of it in the yard, though, and its foliage is quite similar to that of bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis), which is already growing along the path that delineates the bed. I was hoping for a new look.


What can succeed in territory temporarily cleared of smooth Solomon's seal?

    European ginger (Asarum europaeum), another in the same genus, might also work. While smooth Solomon’s seal claimed territory in the yard over the years, clumps of European ginger have slowly expanded, and now new volunteers are popping up and forming colonies on their own, a sign that the species is finally feeling at home in the garden. I love its shiny round leaves with their subtle pattern of lighter-colored veins. I can dig some clumps from a bed along the driveway to try their luck under the crabapple.


European ginger making itself at home next to the garage

    At the Massachusetts Horticultural Society’s Garden Fair last weekend, I spotted an interesting option, Carex siderosticha ‘Snow Cap,’ with leaves that are almost all white. 

Easy to see why this broad-leaved sedge was named 'Snow Cap'

The volunteer who sold it to me warned that it needs lots of shade, and that’s exactly what it’ll get under the crabapple. With no competition, this rhizomatous, creeping sedge might make a bid for world domination. Let’s hope the energy it expends holding back smooth Solomon’s seal will keep it in check. With so little green leaf surface, it can’t be a photosynthetic powerhouse.

    I’m planning to start with those two and any wandering bloodroot seedlings that I can find and transplant. It’ll be interesting to see what happens under the crabapple once these plants go in. I suspect a guide and referee may be needed.


European ginger and bloodroot coexisting elbow to elbow

No comments:

Post a Comment