My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Monday, May 18, 2020

Striking a balance

There’s a tension built into welcoming native insects. I want to host native leaf-eaters, because they’re the base of the food web for the garden ecosystem. They turn the sun’s energy, embodied in plant tissues through photosynthesis, into food for carnivorous animals, including birds and beneficial insects such as ladybugs. But unchecked, they can also defoliate plants and cause an unsightly mess.

Ladybug eating an aphid

    Worldwide, herbivorous insects make up 37 percent of all animal species. If you’re like me, you don’t spot most of them at work. A leaf-eater has to be big and unmissable, like a Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica) or a tomato hornworm (Manduca quinquemaculata), for me to notice it. But although I don’t see them, they’re out there chewing.




Japanese beetle

    In a healthy garden ecosystem, their population is controlled by predators, including birds, reptiles, amphibians, small mammals, and especially other insects. That’s a reason to avoid pesticides. If I kill their prey, insect predators won’t stay in my yard.


     Problems happen when a nonnative insect with no local predators enters the system. In Japan, for example, Japanese beetles aren’t a problem. When they came to North America in 1916, they left behind the insect predators that kept their numbers under control. Nice for the beetles; less pleasant for rosarians. This story repeats with increasing frequency as global trade expands. In my area, we’re seeing native hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) devastated by hemlock woolly adelgid (Adelges tsugae), another inadvertently imported nonnative insect.


Adelgid egg cases on a hemlock twig

     I’m trying to keep leaf-eater populations in balance by supporting a broad range of insects in the garden. I tolerate some leaf damage and hope it won’t become too obvious. Research into what’s termed “aesthetic tolerance” indicates that 10 percent of the leaves in a yard can be chewed before the average gardener even notices. 


     This spring as hosta leaves poke up and unfurl in shady spots, I’m noticing that several seem to emerge with notches or tears in the leaf margins. Did some insect get to them as they developed underground, or is this just a result of careless steps before their location showed? To me, the hosta leaves are still glorious. I don’t think I’ll be bothered by a few flaws.


Hosta leaves will still be dramatic with a few holes


     Theoretically, native plants should be even more attractive to native herbivorous insects than imports such as hostas. That was certainly my experience when I planted a native maple leaf viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium) in view of the window over the kitchen sink. Within a few weeks, I saw it completely defoliated. 


I’d chosen to add this shrub to the back of a bed to provide food and shelter for native insects. Well, they’d certainly made use of it. I decided to consider this a victory. Interestingly, that shrub was never stripped by hungry insects again. It seems to have settled into its niche, sustaining a few chewed leaves but thriving. So far, that seems to be typical.



Maple leaf viburnum-photo

No comments:

Post a Comment