My book and web site

Check out my book, The Sustainable-Enough Garden, available on Amazon, and the book's web site at www.thesustainable-enoughgarden.com. See more plant photos on Instagram.

Monday, May 25, 2020

Watering smarter

On warm days this week, I’ve resumed one of summer’s tasks: watering. Back when my garden was young and all the plants were new, I was grateful to have a computerized irrigation system to keep them lush. Over the years, though, I’ve become increasingly conscious of using too much water. 



Automatic sprinkler watering the lawn and nearby beds

One of the environmental downsides to using purified drinking water in the garden, as I do, is its energy cost. Water utilities consume 3 percent of the energy generated in the United States. By cutting back on automatic irrigation, I can make a small contribution to the fight against global warming.

Clean drinking water comes with a carbon cost

Our sprinkler irrigation system was typical for our area when it was installed in 1997. It divides the yard into twelve watering zones, and it’s controlled by a computer in the basement. An attached rain gauge prevents watering after a storm. In retrospect, I could have saved a lot of water by choosing drip irrigation instead of sprinklers. 

Drip irrigation in an almond orchard. Emitters deliver water only to the trees' root zones

A drip system for trees and shrubs would direct water to exactly where it’s needed. Sprinklers inevitably lose water to evaporation. I cringe a bit when I see sprinklers in the neighborhood running in the middle of the day. To minimize that evaporative loss, I program the sprinklers to run after midnight, when it's dark and cool. That’s still less efficient than drip emitters would be. 


Another wasteful feature: our system’s watering zones were laid out when the garden was new. Sprinkler heads placed to water sections of lawn now cover a mix of grass and young and old shrubs and perennials. I don’t have the flexibility to target just the new plantings within a zone. 


Some environmentally-minded gardeners water only by hand, even in the relatively wet Northeast. A lovely garden I visited last summer is maintained without an irrigation system. The homeowner and garden designer explained that most of her garden gets no supplemental watering. When she needs to water new plants, she fills a bucket or watering can from one of her rain barrels.


Water from barrels at downspouts is sufficient for Joanne's native plant garden


At this stage, most of my garden is comprised of established trees, shrubs and perennials. They’ve spread their roots far and wide to find water when soil is dry. New England plants have adapted to survive our summer dry spells, even without the kind of Xeriscaping that’s appropriate to arid parts of the country. A lot of the irrigation I’ve been doing is probably unnecessary at this point.

It's pretty in May, but sweet woodruff is taking over, maybe because of steady moisture from irrigation.

The bold move would be to cut off irrigation to those older plants, at least until I see that they’re really suffering from drought. New plants will still need two years of watering to get established. That’s where watering cans and hose wands come in.


Ready for summer

Hand watering has its pleasures, especially in summer’s soft morning and evening light. That’s often when I truly see these new arrivals to the garden. I notice the unique patterns of new leaves and register the weeds emerging alongside. I’m looking forward to observing more closely this summer.

 

1 comment:

  1. Those who are looking for organic fruit trees online can view fresh online tree nursery, natural trees, and dried fruits. Explore all our products and add new plants to our backyard and garden.
    You can also check out:
    apple trees for sale
    strawberry plants for sale

    ReplyDelete